Whilst most of us enjoy our little foray into the online casino world at weekends, there are some who are at the other end of the spectrum and struggle to get away from the pokies available online. These are the people who struggle with a gambling habit and are looking at ways to give up playing pokies. Here are the right helpful Hints for People who want to Give up Play Pokies.
In light of the above we thought it prudent to answer a recent question on this subject, the question we received was “What are helpful hints for people who want to give up play pokies”
There is a wealth of helpful hints for people who want to give up playing pokies, so why not read on and find out more.
If you think someone has a gambling habit then note that people with gambling disorders often hide their behavior, but there are warning signs that gambling has become a problem for someone you know. These may include missing money or household valuables, borrowing money regularly, having multiple loans, unpaid bills, lack of food and household essentials, withdrawing from family or at work, changes in personality or mood, often have a conflict with others, feelings of helplessness, depression, or feeling suicidal, chasing losses, always talking of gambling and pokies.
How to seek help in case you are pokies or gambling addicted?
Firstly you can ask someone to help; talk to them about your issues; about the lying and the money you are using. If you can’t find someone who you trust in your circle of friends and family; then you can contact a local gambling addiction team who will be able to help.
Do not visit casinos be it land or online but spend some quality time with your friends and family. Play other indoor games or mobile games that are free; and for fun where you needn’t make any real cash deposit but enjoy as well.
Find a way to limit your access to cash; cut up credit cards or even speak to your bank to reduce your daily withdrawal limits to a satisfactory level.
You can develop a new hobby to fill the void of the time you would usually spend online; try to do this through an outdoor sport where computer access is limited. Find a way to reduce your stress levels, as well as sports also look at stress management and relaxation techniques.
Gambling addiction comes from losing money and wanting to recoup it or simply having an addictive personality. Either way, it’s an issue that needs looking into, and anyone suffering needs support from people they can trust to reduce, or even remove their gambling addiction.
Ways to seek help immediately
- Visit Gambling Help Online, Gamblers Anonymous or Problem Gambling Australiafor further information, tools and support.
- Watch videos of people talking about their experiences of problem gambling.
- Ring the Gambling Help Line on 1800 858 858, for free 24/7 telephone counselling.
- Call the Financial Counselling Hotline on 1800 007 007 for assistance with financial difficulties.
- Speak to a telephone counsellor at Lifeline, for 24/7 support with any personal difficulties or distress.
- Share experiences and work towards recovery from a gambling addiction with others by joining Gamblers Anonymous or SMART Recovery.
- Speak to your GP about a referral to a specialist service.
- Contact Relationships Australia or the Salvation Army to participate in counselling and programs aimed at overcoming addictions and managing associated problems.
- In New Zealand seek help here and contact the NZ helpline numbers